Thursday, July 9, 2015

Thru The Rabbit Hole

As of the day of this writing I am sitting 1 week and 1 day post op. I would love to stay it has been nothing but sunshine but that would be a misrepresentation of the truth. I have had both physical and mental issues to deal with during my young MGB life.

Firstly lets take a look at some of the physical issues. When I came out of anesthesia after my surgery I was at a pain level of 10+. Everyone was shocked including me and they really started pumping me full of pain meds. My surgeon really didn't have a good reason why I had that level of pain and in that particular area. It took them close to 2 hours to get the pain under control enough to get me to my room. So by the time I got to my room I was still pretty much out of it. Once the pain med buzz started wearing off then the nausea feeling starting creeping in and making me sick. Which really sucked because if I wanted to go home the next day I needed to be up and walking the hallways. I did manage to get up and walk a few times but for the most part I was out of it either by pain meds or nausea meds I pretty much slept all day and night. The second day the pain was pretty much all gone with the exception of soreness when I would bend over but nothing major. It was the dang sick to my stomach and tiredness. Late in the afternoon of day 2 in the hospital my surgeon came in and didn't feel good about releasing me yet. He did remove a patch they had put behind my ear to prevent nausea and let me tell you it was like a light bulb moment. Within 2 hours of him removing that stupid patch all my sour stomach issues were gone and my energy level was up. They couldn't keep me out of the hallways and I was finally able to eat something as well. I guess to sum it up I would like to quote a Mel Brooks classic Blazing Saddles "Badges, We don't need no stinking badges".  

Now the mental aspects. Keep in mind I am a male species so I don't do a lot of this touchy feelings type stuff but there are a couple things that I wanted to bring up. Now I knew going into this that I would have a couple of weeks of clear liquid diet post op. I didn't know the mental effort required to eat another Jello or have a cup of broth. It freaking sucks and I am tired of it. Luckily my surgeon actually gave me a slight reprieve and said I could move onto soft foods. KFC mashed potatoes have never tasted so good in my life. Secondly, I didn't realize the effect TV commercials have on a person. I have a long list of items I am dying on eating once I am released back to normal food. The guys and gals in the advertising are excellent.

All in all it hasn't been to bad. I went back to my surgeon the other day and had my staples removed and my first weigh in. I had lost 17 lbs in a week so I was extremely happy about that but I am also realistic I know that amount of weight loss in a week will never happen again.  Another NSV (non-scale victory) is I am no longer taking my blood pressure meds. and right now I am feeling pretty good. I still get a little tired in the afternoon but nothing I cannot handle. I had started back to work on 4 days ago from home and then went into the office today.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are getting a bit better than they were that first day! I'll remember that patch story! I'm looking forward to reading your future posts to see how you're doing. I've turned in my packet, all but my psych evaluation and before pics. It's getting closer! Hang in there! I'm not looking forward to those liquids either, but have to believe that 'this too, shall pass'! Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience! I am considering MGB, and I look forward to reading more of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this. I too when I had VSG was terribly nauseated and had vomiting, i was in hospital 4 days. Nausea was constant until someone told me it was after week 2 stomach acid, so took more omeprazole and voila it stopped.
    I am hoping the MGB revision wont be a repeat of my VSG surgery days.. but I know I can make it though that if I have to. The mental part is tough but with time you learn a totally new lifestyle. Congrats to you sir!.. Interesting about the patch was likely scopolamine, they use for nausea motion sickness. I also found the pain meds made me extermely nauseaus, as soon as i could top those IV pain meds felt alot better. Drinking anything was so hard as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your blog and please keep us updated. I also am a gastric band veteran who is moving on to a Mini Bypass (surgery is booked for Sep 7th).

    ReplyDelete